Welcome to American Government/Economics
My name is Susan Hodges and I have the privilege of teaching Government and Economics this year! The first half, from August to December, will be Government. Gov’t usually drives economics….law drives economics…so we will study about our government system first. Then we will move on from January to May with Economics. We have some supplemental texts that everyone needs to have for both parts of this class. Please make sure you have those for each course!
Why Study Gov’t and Economics? Well…. you have to have it to graduate from high school, but more importantly because our government system affects you! Yes- you the student! Laws implemented now have ripple effects that 20 years from now will affect you! Freedom is never free and the more knowledge one has about our government system, the more one can recognize when these freedoms are in jeopardy. There will be papers, quizzes, and tests in this class as well as fun, exciting debate times with lots of current issues. If you do not currently discuss politics or watch the news with your parents, now would be the time to do so! Get informed so the Lord can birth a desire in you to pray for our leaders, can birth a sense of increased patriotism, and the ability to use your knowledge of US history as a lens to see the government as the founding fathers designed for this great nation!
Class and Homework for May 05- 12th, 2020
- Read chapter 14
- Answer Identify and Explain – all of them
- List 4 things about Malthus …page 222
- Write Reagan’s quote page 229, Chamber’s quote page 23, and Franklin’s quote page 232 and in your own words, write what they mean and how it applies to today.
- Listen to James McMenis State of Entitlement Part 1 sermon on you tube…about an hour long
- Write a three – five page paper in MLA format A. Entitlement>Apathy>Dependency>Bondage B.Gratitude>Engagement – with purpose>Freedom/Independent/Unreliant>Liberty
- Explain each flow chart above (A and B) in terms of the evidence of each in our society. Reference big or small gov’t that perpetuates each idea. Give examples of each that are easily seen in our American culture.
- Reference/Read the two quotes below in your paper. How does our gov’t drive economic principles that favor one flow chart over another and which one would our founding fathers advocate for.
- Please give spiritual references as well as appropriate evidences.
Alexis de Tocqueville: America is great because she is good and if America ever ceases to be good, America will cease to be great!
Patrick Henry: Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains. A vitiated state of morals, a corrupted public conscience, is incompatible with freedom. No free gov’t or the blessings of liberty, can be preserved to any people but by a firm adherence to justice, moderation, temperance, frugality, and virtue, and by a frequent recurrence to Fundamental Principles.
Milton Friedman Free to Choose: Part 8 Video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Ch4rzINyY